Sunday, May 3, 2009

A Frozen Flower (쌍화점)

Written and directed by Yoo Ha, starring Ju Jin Mo, Jo In Sung and Song Ji Hyo.

Set in the end of the Goryeo era (1390's), the King of Goryeo's position as a leader was threatened by China's Yuan Empire. The Yuan wished to crown another King, the reason being the King had no heir. The King, not able to sleep with a woman because of his homosexuality, asked his chief general and lover Hong Lim to sleep with the Queen, in the hopes of producing an heir.

Saw it because I had not seen Jo In Sung in the longest time and because Jo In Sung + homosexuality (or affectionately referred to as 'BL' or 'Boys Love' by fangirls) sounded like a great idea. Before watching it, I read some of the comments that people left about the film and noticed that most didn't like it. I had a feeling that this would be one depressing film.

Unfortunately I was right. What a depressing film. And the homosexuality stuff? Could only be found in the beginning, and that was it. After that, there were a series of heterosexual sex scenes which kinda surprised me because it was pretty graphic, and the actors in this film are all quite the A-listers. The story itself was somehow pretty predictable and I was not comfortable with the female lead. Even though she was the same age as Jo In Sung, she just didn't suit the part. I was most surprised with Ju Jin Mo. Before this film, the only time I saw him was in a romantic comedy titled 200 Pound Beauty. Seeing him in this demanding role was a pleasant surprise because he gave such a wonderful performance. He carried the film by himself. The other two main cast seemed like aids to elaborate the film, compared to him. Ju Jin Mo took the lead, he made us feel for him, pity him, sympathize him. It was such a delight to be able to see him portray this character.

Because of the theme and the setting, one would instantly compare this to Lee Jun Ik's The King and the Clown. But I have to say that these two were on different levels. I much prefer The King and the Clown, which was a poignant, poetic and beautiful piece of art. A Frozen Flower was filled with blood, angst and eroticism. However in terms of costumes and art direction, A Frozen Flower was not less pretty.

All in all, this film made me respect the Korean cinema industry and its performers more, and lament at the still left-far-behind Indonesian cinema. It was a treat to see a wonderful performance by the charismatic Ju Jin Mo and that reason alone was enough to make me feel that this film was worth my time and attention. When you have a predictable and depressing plot, you look for the actors' performances, and Ju Jin Mo gave one that would make you remember him. Yes, Jo In Sung was prettier, but Ju Jin Mo stole the show.

7 / 10.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree, Jin Mo acted very beautifully in the movie. I felt like throwing something at Hong Lim for being such a bastard to his character! Thanks for this detailed review.