Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Opera Jawa

An Indonesian film directed by a well-known filmmaker Garin Nugroho, starring ex-Miss Indonesia (2005) Artika Sari Devi, Martinus Miroto and Eko Supriyanto. Screened in various film festivals around the world.

A (sort of) musical drama telling the story of a love triangle between Siti, Setio and Ludiro. Siti and Setio were a married couple, but as time goes by Setio grew distant and Ludiro, who had been forever in love with Siti, was trying to win the lady's love.

I rarely check reviews before seeing a movie but this time I did. And the two reviews that I read said that the film is boring. But I was still curious so I went to see it anyway (still thinking that I'd probably die from boredom). But you know what, I wasn't bored at all. The film was two hour long and I wasn't bored. There was no dialogue, only singing and dancing. They did it all in Javanese, which I don't understand, so I had to keep reading the Indonesian subtitles. The film was very unique, very rare. Some people could easily get bored (because Javanese songs are sung VERY slowly. And I mean VERY) but I was kept interested the whole time. There were some metaphors I still don't get but overall I really enjoyed it. The Balinese housekeeper/caretaker was a scene stealer. I loved him. And OMG Eko Supriyanto. He's an Indonesian artist, a great one. I've never paid attention to the Indonesian art community but I know I've seen an article about this guy somewhere and yes, he's GREAT. When he danced.. it was just so.. expressive. His whole body was communicating. Just great.

8 / 10.

No comments: