Sunday, September 23, 2007

Volver

Directed by the great Pedro Almodóvar, starring Penélope Cruz, Carmen Maura, Lola Dueñas (The Sea Inside), Blanca Portillo and Yohana Cobo.

Raimunda, her daughter Paula and her sister Soledad went back to their home town, the windy village of Alcanfor de las Infantas to visit the grave of Raimunda and Sole's mother. They also visited their aunt, to see how she was doing. Apparently she had been taken care of by her neighbor, Agustina, and also (according to her) by her dead sister. When Raimunda, Paula and Sole went back to their usual lives, things started to happen and Sole got a visit from a unexpected person.

I know, I'm kinda late. The film's been there for a year. What kind of a Pedro fan am I? Okay, so, I have to admit that for the first one and a half hours, I didn't know what I was watching. The story felt pointless. But, of course, in the end there's an unexpected plot twist that only Pedro can pull off. Yep, this one has a crazy plot that is sure to surprise you. But honestly, I prefer Bad Education. Sure, both has surprises and unexpected twists, but Bad Education felt more 'packed' and certain. But anyway, I'm still a huge Pedro fan and still recommend people to watch this film. Penélope is damn pretty (I'm starting to love her) and I just love how 'colorful' Pedro's films are. They have a different, dark-yet-colorful feeling. Oh, and 'Volver' means 'to return'.

7.5 / 10.

No comments: